Skip to main content

Short and Insufficient Words On Charlottesville, VA: Prayers of the People at FBC Monroe

My attempts at capturing all of my thoughts and responses to what took place in Charlottesville, VA would be futile as there is so much going through my mind as I reflect on what took place, the people who were present, and the message that was conveyed by all involved's actions. With that said, I was however tasked with leading our congregation at First Baptist Church, Monroe in prayer in our weekly worship service. As I shared with our people, the events of this week have left me at a loss for words, so I had to borrow the powerful words of Fran Pratt. Below are the words of introduction I shared with our congregation, followed by the prayer that we offered from the litany that Fran Pratt wrote.

Words of Reflecting on Charlottesville/Intro to Prayer                                  
Yesterday, I spent the morning on a football field officiating a football scrimmage, seeing young men enjoying a game that requires its participants to exhibit teamwork, dedication, trust, and effort for the good of the team. Despite the warm weather, I walked off that field with joy in my heart and a smile on my face for the experience I had enjoyed. That joy was short lived when I reached my car, and saw the notifications on my phone detailing the events of violence that were unfolding in Charlottesville. As I watched the events unfold the rest of the day, I found myself experiencing a broad range of emotions. Confusion, anger, disgust, sadness, shock… maybe you felt some of these and other emotions as well?
I am thankful to live in a country where its citizens have the right to express their opinions and beliefs, whether I agree with them or not, or even if I feel it is not okay to believe that particular way. Yet, when a person’s opinions or beliefs lead to the act of driving a vehicle into a crowd of people intent on causing harm… that no longer is an opinion, but is something else. Something that I, nor we as people who call ourselves followers of the Prince of Peace can allow to go on unchecked.

So this morning church, as I reflect on the events in Charlottesville, VA, or how many times I heard the phrase North Korea this week, and all the other pains and challenges I know each of us are facing, as one of your ministers, I have to be honest and say, I am at a loss for words to pray this morning. But fortunately, we are able to turn to words of those across the life of the church for when we have none, so this morning for our prayer time, I will be borrowing words adapted from a litany written by Frann Pratt in light of what happened in Charlottesville. As I pray, I encourage you to add your own words of what you are feeling, knowing that our God is a big god, one who hears us and understands us, even when we may not be able to understand ourselves. Let us pray. 


Litany for Charlottesville, VA
Written by Fran Pratt
Used as a prayer at First Baptist Church, Monroe – Sunday August 13, 2017
God, we are sad to see the stark truth of demons that remain among us:
Hatred, bigotry, racism, and white supremacy.
We are sad to see flagrant parades of violence in our streets,
Flaunting prejudice and intolerance.
We mourn with our sisters and brothers who are harmed in body and soul
By these exhibitions.
Indeed, we are all harmed:
They are us and we are them.

We say No:
This can go no further.
We reproach these misguided souls
Resolutely and lovingly.

Help us not to bury our heads
Or resist the lesson before us:
Of the truth of the darkness that exists in our midst
Growing like weeds among wheat.

Help us to stamp out hate
By love and love alone.
Help us to preach peace on loudspeakers and pedestals,
But also in quiet relationships;
In art and poetry,
In song and dance,
In bread and wine,
In words written and spoken,
In pulpits and in alleys,
In boardrooms and porches.

The way of Christ is peace.
The method of Christ is love.
The means of Christ is invitation.
The ends of Christ are unity.
The way of Christ
Is the way we follow.              Amen

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First day in South Africa

Finally, able to post something. We are having some internet problems where we are staying, but I think I have enough of a connection to post this. Well we made it obviously, and everything I have heard about the scenery of Cape Town was spot on. This city is absolutely beautiful! It is breathtaking with its mountains and the ocean. It really is gorgeous. Though that beauty is shared equally with the poverty and needs of the people of Cape Town. This morning we woke up, had breakfast, and then we drove into the city under the guidance and skills of our trusty driver/guide Fransee (FRAN-zee). We spent the morning at the market in downtown Cape Town where we were able to bargain (discuss an acceptable price for items), and I picked up a few nice souvenirs to take home from South Africa. Following the morning, we went and had lunch at the mall, which is just as nice if not nicer than any mall in the US (stores included: Lacoste, Gucci, Polo, and Burberry). Then after lunch, we drove

Expect the Unexpected

Today marked our first official day of mission work with Living Hope (livinghope.co.za). The theme for the day certainly focused on responding to the unexpected. It started early this morning after breakfast. We had planned on leaving at a certain time, but were unexpectedly contacted as we were washing dishes and asked to come to the Living Hope facility for an orientation and briefing meeting. This was 30 minutes earlier or so than we had expected to leave, but we were flexible and just left early. I was very impressed with the organization and structure of the Living Hope ministry, and I want to devote adequate time and space to that, so I will bring a full description of the ministry on a later post (most likely after we return home, or at the earliest, this weekend). Following the meeting, we drove over to the township in which we will be working for the week, Masiphumelele (Ma-c-pu-ma-lay-le). Masi is one of the townships in which Living Hope is working, and they bas

Mount of Beatitudes & Golan Heights: Day 1 in Israel

Today begin our official visiting of sites and locations around Israel. We started the day with a delicious breakfast before boarding our bus at 8 AM to head to our first stop, the Mount of Beatitudes. This is the site traditionally believed to be the location where Jesus gave his Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5). The site currently has a Catholic church on it surrounded by beautiful gardens and places of reflection, that are run by a group of nuns. When we arrived, the group gathered and was led in a time of devotion by Nathan Morton, a CUDS student and pastor of Burgaw Baptist Church in Burgaw, NC. It was a wonderful reminder of what it means to be the salt and light of the earth, as Nathan read this memorable passage on the very site it is traditionally believed to have been delivered by Jesus.  Nathan sharing from Matt 5 on Mount of Beatitudes Church at Beatitudes Me with the Mount of Beatitudes and the Sea of Galilee in the backgrou