Skip to main content

The First Word

I have always wondered what it would be like to join the world of blogging. My good friend, former teammate, and roommate CJ Oates has had one for the past few years (visit his Tumblr here: http://iamnumero2.tumblr.com/) but I never felt that I had anything worth saying to start one. Jump to today, and if you are friends with me on Facebook, you know that I am going on a mission trip to South Africa... in two days!
So with that momentous occasion coming up, I thought this blog would be a good way to let people know what goes on while our team is over in Cape Town, and maybe give me a good enough excuse to continue this thing beyond our return from the other side of the world!

So let this serve as the first word for what I hope is not a temporary thing. Come back as I divulge my pre-trip thoughts, emotions, and anxieties, as well as day-to-day updates of the team from Campbell University's activities in South Africa.

Be Blessed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just Because We Can Doesn't Mean We Should

Over the last ten weeks the sanctuary at First Baptist Monroe has sat dormant. Though we haven't been worshiping in that space, worship has continued via a more intimate setting in our church's choir room beamed up into airwaves for people to participate in on all manner of personal devices. I have missed being able to gather with our folks there, and when I walk through it now, something is definitely missing. It is a vast understatement to say the COVID-19 pandemic has overturned our very way of life. Restrictions on work, retail, recreational, and social activities have hit us all hard. Like a two year old toddler, the first instance or two of being told "no" might slip right by us, but after repeated denials, that opposition often grows into anger-filled defiance before generating fits of rage-fueled outbursts. It happens. Churches are no stranger to this as the recent push to allow congregants to gather in NC has made its way through the court system. ...

Reconstructing Our Own "Cathedral of Innovation"

The other day I came across a fascinating article about a recent facility acquisition made by Audible, Inc., the Amazon subsidiary that provides audiobooks and other storytelling services on its well-designed app (of which I happen to be a frequent user). The company had purchased an old rundown building just down the street from its headquarters in Newark, NJ, believing it could be a center of innovation and development not only for the company’s products but also for their community. Your first thought is likely that what they purchased was a warehouse, a former storefront, or possibly an abandoned apartment building. What would you say if I told you what they purchased was a church? Yes, Audible, Inc. purchased what was formerly Newark’s Second Presbyterian Church. Having been constructed in 1933, the church at one time had as many as 10,000 members at its height in the middle of the 20th century. The church closed in 1995 due to declining membership and the space was used as a sc...

Reevaluating Our Relationship With Food: My Month with the Whole30 Diet

If you know me, then you know one of the great sources of joy in my life is food. When I travel, I love trying new or different places, I'm always down for a good old fashioned greasy cheeseburger, and I like to reward myself on occasion with trips to Krispy Kreme after a tough day or successfully completing a project. Whether you are reconnecting with an old friend, or taking in a baseball game, good food and drinks always seem to have a way of elevating that which you are experiencing. Well, over the last 30 days, I have undergone a new, and certainly different experience with food, the Whole30 program .  A few months ago (pre-pandemic) my wife, Lindsay began mentioning her desire to take a hard look at our tendencies and norms with regards to diet and exercise, and she floated the idea of her wanting to do the Whole30 program . If you are not familiar with the program, Whole30 was first offered up in 2009 by a blogger named  Melissa Hartwig Urban that would go on to become ...