Skip to main content

Twas the night before...

This is it. In just about 13 hours, our team's flight will be taking off from RDU headed to South Africa. It is odd, but I feel a complete sense of calm. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely excited about this trip, but as far as nervousness... I don't feel any. It is sort of like I told our Pastor tonight after Bible study, I feel like I am getting up tomorrow to go to work just like I would any other day, it is just that tomorrow instead of going to work in Buies Creek or Roseboro, I will be going to Cape Town. That sort of feeling lets me know that I am definitely doing what God wants me to.

Our trip to South Africa will neither be a short one or a direct one. Our flight leaves RDU and then heads to Boston where we have a short layover before hopping the next plan for a six and a half hour flight to Amsterdam. Once we make it to Amsterdam, its a four layover before taking the final grueling ten and a half hour flight to Cape Town. We leave Thursday at 1 PM and arrive in Cape Town on Friday night at 9 (there time, 3 PM here). So yes, round trip it takes a little over 24 hours, but man will it be worth it.
For those of you who know me, you know that I am a big guy, so being comfortable on these plan rides will be one of my biggest challenges on this trip for sure, but it is going to be so worth it when our team finally gets there.

As I sit at my desk here in my house (soon to be former house as I have to move out two days after we return from South Africa), I am attempting to not get to caught up in the excitement of the traveling, and focus more on the people that I will meet there. The individuals whom I will come into contact with, and as I try to imagine their faces, I attempt to see hope in their eyes. Hope that only comes from the knowledge of who Jesus Christ is, and what he has done for them and for me. I have seen God do some crazy big things throughout my life, and I am expecting nothing less on this trip. Yet even if it doesn't happen on this trip that is okay because we aren't called to do "big things", just to simply follow God wherever he leads us. That is what I and the rest of our team from Campbell are doing on this trip, following the call he has given to each of us, going to serve the people of Cape Town, and leaving the "big things" up to him.

Be Blessed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First day in South Africa

Finally, able to post something. We are having some internet problems where we are staying, but I think I have enough of a connection to post this. Well we made it obviously, and everything I have heard about the scenery of Cape Town was spot on. This city is absolutely beautiful! It is breathtaking with its mountains and the ocean. It really is gorgeous. Though that beauty is shared equally with the poverty and needs of the people of Cape Town. This morning we woke up, had breakfast, and then we drove into the city under the guidance and skills of our trusty driver/guide Fransee (FRAN-zee). We spent the morning at the market in downtown Cape Town where we were able to bargain (discuss an acceptable price for items), and I picked up a few nice souvenirs to take home from South Africa. Following the morning, we went and had lunch at the mall, which is just as nice if not nicer than any mall in the US (stores included: Lacoste, Gucci, Polo, and Burberry). Then after lunch, we drove

Mount of Beatitudes & Golan Heights: Day 1 in Israel

Today begin our official visiting of sites and locations around Israel. We started the day with a delicious breakfast before boarding our bus at 8 AM to head to our first stop, the Mount of Beatitudes. This is the site traditionally believed to be the location where Jesus gave his Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5). The site currently has a Catholic church on it surrounded by beautiful gardens and places of reflection, that are run by a group of nuns. When we arrived, the group gathered and was led in a time of devotion by Nathan Morton, a CUDS student and pastor of Burgaw Baptist Church in Burgaw, NC. It was a wonderful reminder of what it means to be the salt and light of the earth, as Nathan read this memorable passage on the very site it is traditionally believed to have been delivered by Jesus.  Nathan sharing from Matt 5 on Mount of Beatitudes Church at Beatitudes Me with the Mount of Beatitudes and the Sea of Galilee in the backgrou

FBC Monroe Students Head North, eh! (Day 1)

Today our team of 8 high school students and 3 adult chaperones from First Baptist, Monroe departed for a week of serving alongside residents of Chateauguay, Quebec Canada. We have been looking forward to this experience for quite awhile. For all of the students, it is their first experience with an international missonal encounter, heck for three quarters of our team, it was their first time flying.             Our trip began with multiple headaches at the Charlotte airport, as there was difficulty with obtaining boarding passes through the airline, and misdirection from security about which “check-in” line we were authorized to enter. Then when we got to Philadelphia for our connecting flight, it ended up being delayed by 2.5 hours. All of the irritations aside, it provided time for our team to gel in light of the unique experiences, and give us a good “first day’ story.             We made it to Burlington, VT where we picked up our rental vehicles for the week and began the 90-