Skip to main content

The Night I Took a Roll of Toilet Paper from Church

I will never forget that night I borrowed a roll of toilet paper from the church I was serving at. (Yes, this may seem odd, but I promise there is a point to all of this)

It was my first year of Divinity School, I was in my sixth year serving as the church's Youth Director, and I was balancing holding down another job as a part time employee at a university. All of that is to say, that both time and money were in short supply. On this particular Wednesday evening, I had planned to stop by the grocery store following church to pick up some things, but some unexpected tasks came up while at church, so I was unable to leave in time to make it to the store before it closed.

Before making the 45 minute drive back to my apartment from the church, I stepped into the bathroom to wash my hands, and noticed a stack of toilet paper rolls on the counter someone had left in anticipation of restocking the men's room. Seeing this stack reminded me that I was completely out of TP myself, and it would be a few days before I would be able to make it the store again. So I decided to take a roll home for myself to get through the next few days, but not before I got permission to do so.

I walked down to the pastor's office, explained my predicament, and politely asked if I could have a roll of the church's toilet paper. To which he responded with a great bout of laughter and said "Absolutely." He kindly thanked me for asking but added that it was not necessary before inquiring to know if there was anything else I needed.

Being a 20-something, trying to start out on your own in life and ministry, while working part-time jobs and balancing the demands seminary can be difficult. Often times it means weighing needs against wants, and determining what is a necessity. It usually means declining things you would like to do with friends or others, and also going without things that others are able to freely enjoy. Though there were a lot of trying times for me financially and professionally starting out, those were far outweighed by the support of the congregation where I served and the love of my family.

I cannot begin to express enough how vitally important it is for young ministers starting out to feel loved and supported, and its not always a matter of money, though that certainly is a tangible way to show your appreciation. I hear all too often of men and women who step away from their desire to serve in ministry because of burn out, or the financial burdens that comes with the call of God.

Just as the Apostle Paul was grateful for the support he received throughout his ministry (ex. Philippians 4:10-20) I too am eternally grateful for the support I have received from individuals and congregations throughout my ministry. I would encourage you to continue to acknowledge the young ministers in your life, because you never know when they will need it most!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expect the Unexpected

Today marked our first official day of mission work with Living Hope (livinghope.co.za). The theme for the day certainly focused on responding to the unexpected. It started early this morning after breakfast. We had planned on leaving at a certain time, but were unexpectedly contacted as we were washing dishes and asked to come to the Living Hope facility for an orientation and briefing meeting. This was 30 minutes earlier or so than we had expected to leave, but we were flexible and just left early. I was very impressed with the organization and structure of the Living Hope ministry, and I want to devote adequate time and space to that, so I will bring a full description of the ministry on a later post (most likely after we return home, or at the earliest, this weekend). Following the meeting, we drove over to the township in which we will be working for the week, Masiphumelele (Ma-c-pu-ma-lay-le). Masi is one of the townships in which Living Hope is working, and they bas

Day 8 in Israel: City of David, Pool of Siloam, and

Today was one of the hottest in Israel since we've been here but it was also our shortest,turning out to still be a good day. We visited the City of David, Hezekiah's Tunnel/Pool of Siloam, the Davidson Center and Bet-Guvrin-Maresha to participate in an archeological dig. Some of the remains of King David's palace We started the day off going to the City of David which is an Israeli national park and excavation site where Jerusalem sat during the time of King David. We were able to see the newly excavated structure which many believe to be King David's palace. Then we entered Hezekiah's tunnel, which was constructed by King Hezekiah to provide water for the city of Jerusalem prior to war against the Assyrians. This was a walk in complete darkness (except for our flashlights), in almost knee deep water through a tunnel that was not very high or very wide. Yet despite all that, it was a really fun experience for those who braved the waters of the tunnel. 

Sunday Mornings in the Park: A Minister's Confession On A Free Sunday

"A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" by Georges Seurat       As of this writing, the congregation that I serve has just experienced its 22nd week of no in-person gatherings for worship. We have however, worshiped virtually, and like with anything else you do with practice, we have continued to improve and diversify what we do and how we do it. Consequently, because of the virtual worship services (we have pre-recorded and posted them since Pentecost), I have now had my Sunday mornings free, and I have to say, I am starting to see why people may choose not to attend church on Sunday mornings! ( GASP )        For most Sunday mornings since I started my first paid-position in a congregation back in 2006, I have been obligated to be in a church building on Sunday mornings. There have been only a handful of absences due to vacation and any other misses were on account of doing something related to the church (mission trips, traveling to conferences, etc.). So over