Skip to main content

STRAINED: What a loose dog and a strained voice taught me about MLK and speaking truth.

Creek, named for my two homes,
Mill Creek and Buies Creek
On days that I have the time, I enjoy taking our dog, Creek, to the park so that we both can stretch our legs a bit beyond the confines of our home. Creek is an eight-month-old black lab mix who is full of energy. He loves to run at full sprint when he can, and I certainly enjoy watching him do so. This past Saturday afternoon, Creek and I went to a local park in town, though a different one from where we typically go. This park has a recreation baseball field with an enclosed fence that I thought would be perfect for him to get all of his energy out in a safe environment since we lack a dog park in the area.

                Creek darted around the outfield chasing one of his beloved balls and frantically rolled in the grass to his heart’s delight (and mine). After about 30 minutes, I was ready to head home, when Creek noticed a group of birds out in left field. Of course, as is his nature, he took off , and a comical scene ensued of a dog doing his best to catch the impossible. I smiled at the scene, but my joy quickly turned to horror as I noticed that there was a gap in the fencing where the third baseline met the left field fence that I had not noticed when we arrived. Unfortunately, Creek did, and he saw an opportunity to continue the chase of the birds who were taking flight.
                This field is located beside a fairly busy four lane road that serves as a major entry point into our community’s downtown area. I watched in horror as Creek bolted out of the fence and up the embankment in pursuit of his prize. His path took him directly towards the road. I pursued as fast as I possibly could, screaming at the top of my lungs with such veracity in a desperate, but futile, effort for him to “STOP!” I could hardly bare to keep my eyes on him as he approached the road with six to seven cars traveling from both directions. Creek entered the road just so, that the cars passed in front of him as he crossed, nearly missing his small thirty-pound frame. He was none the wiser of what he had done until he had reached the other side, and only then did he realize his location in relation to mine.
                Creek then retreated back to our original side of the highway, and for the next five minutes continued to run with a reckless abandon, all along I was attempting everything I could to simply get him to stop so I can return him to safety. Eventually, he tired and walked to my car, and hopped in the front seat as he so often does, the ordeal finally over. As I sat down and leaned against my car, I was struck by the quickness of my breath, the pounding of my heart, and the pain I felt in my head and abdomen. I was shocked at just how petrified I had been. Later after we had returned home, and the adrenaline had subsided, I began to feel an extreme scratchy soreness in my throat, a pain I had never experienced in such a way before. Long-story short, according to my speech pathologist spouse, I had strained my vocal cords, and now they and my throat were inflamed as a result.
                As I type this, it is 4:00 AM on Monday morning, and I cannot sleep because of the severe irritation in my throat. It is difficult to speak, and at the behest of my wife, I am chugging water and popping honey-infused throat drops like a kid with a PEZ dispenser. All of this discomfort and irritation, a small yet aggregating consequence as a result of my desperate screams for our beloved family pet to simply stop, so that he would be safe from harm.
                In my attempts at sleep, I could not help but think of those who had given their voices to much greater calls for stopping injustices of all forms in order to bring safety and healing. Today is an appropriate day for such reflection as our nation stops to commemorate and celebrate the life and work of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. He, along with so many other wonderful saints gave their voices yes, but so much more, to achieving the dream of a land of equal opportunity for all people, no matter their race. That dream has now been continually built upon to include all those who are marginalized and delegated as something less than equal (women, LGBTQ, poor, etc).
      
          Though Dr. King’s dream has yet to be fully realized, the work continues by so many great saints who go about speaking the truth. For Dr. King, the truth he spoke arose out of his deep desire to follow in the footsteps of his Lord Jesus Christ who said, “This is my commandment: love each other just as I have loved you” (John 15:12). Additionally, the faith of Dr. King and those who carry on this good work was no doubt informed by the words of Paul who wrote to the church at Rome saying:



Love should be shown without pretending. Hate evil, and hold on to what is good. 10 Love each other like the members of your family. Be the best at showing honor to each other. 11 Don’t hesitate to be enthusiastic—be on fire in the Spirit as you serve the Lord! 12 Be happy in your hope, stand your ground when you’re in trouble, and devote yourselves to prayer. 13 Contribute to the needs of God’s people, and welcome strangers into your home. 14 Bless people who harass you—bless and don’t curse them. 15 Be happy with those who are happy, and cry with those who are crying. 16 Consider everyone as equal, and don’t think that you’re better than anyone else. Instead, associate with people who have no status. Don’t think that you’re so smart. 17 Don’t pay back anyone for their evil actions with evil actions, but show respect for what everyone else believes is good.   – Romans 12: 9-17 (CEB)

                I am reminded how that when speaking up for what is right and just, that so often it is met with attempts to silence such words. There are sacrifices that so often come as a result. This is a reality that is not lost on God, as God demonstrated the greatest sacrifice in allowing Jesus to die for our shortcomings in order that the relationships between God and humanity could be reconciled.  The words offered up in spite of the opposition are indeed holy ones. Words of hope, love, grace, acceptance, and affirmation. Words that are not of this world, but are Kingdom words. So today I give thanks for the ministry of Dr. King, and all those who have given much in offering their voices for what is right. I am encouraged by the living of so many who do the good work for those who are marginalized in our world to go and do the likewise. May their voices not go unheard, because in them, we hear the voice of the one, true loving God. And may we not only hear that voice, but listen to it, and allow it to become the very words we speak as well. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expect the Unexpected

Today marked our first official day of mission work with Living Hope (livinghope.co.za). The theme for the day certainly focused on responding to the unexpected. It started early this morning after breakfast. We had planned on leaving at a certain time, but were unexpectedly contacted as we were washing dishes and asked to come to the Living Hope facility for an orientation and briefing meeting. This was 30 minutes earlier or so than we had expected to leave, but we were flexible and just left early. I was very impressed with the organization and structure of the Living Hope ministry, and I want to devote adequate time and space to that, so I will bring a full description of the ministry on a later post (most likely after we return home, or at the earliest, this weekend). Following the meeting, we drove over to the township in which we will be working for the week, Masiphumelele (Ma-c-pu-ma-lay-le). Masi is one of the townships in which Living Hope is working, and they bas

Day 8 in Israel: City of David, Pool of Siloam, and

Today was one of the hottest in Israel since we've been here but it was also our shortest,turning out to still be a good day. We visited the City of David, Hezekiah's Tunnel/Pool of Siloam, the Davidson Center and Bet-Guvrin-Maresha to participate in an archeological dig. Some of the remains of King David's palace We started the day off going to the City of David which is an Israeli national park and excavation site where Jerusalem sat during the time of King David. We were able to see the newly excavated structure which many believe to be King David's palace. Then we entered Hezekiah's tunnel, which was constructed by King Hezekiah to provide water for the city of Jerusalem prior to war against the Assyrians. This was a walk in complete darkness (except for our flashlights), in almost knee deep water through a tunnel that was not very high or very wide. Yet despite all that, it was a really fun experience for those who braved the waters of the tunnel. 

Sunday Mornings in the Park: A Minister's Confession On A Free Sunday

"A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" by Georges Seurat       As of this writing, the congregation that I serve has just experienced its 22nd week of no in-person gatherings for worship. We have however, worshiped virtually, and like with anything else you do with practice, we have continued to improve and diversify what we do and how we do it. Consequently, because of the virtual worship services (we have pre-recorded and posted them since Pentecost), I have now had my Sunday mornings free, and I have to say, I am starting to see why people may choose not to attend church on Sunday mornings! ( GASP )        For most Sunday mornings since I started my first paid-position in a congregation back in 2006, I have been obligated to be in a church building on Sunday mornings. There have been only a handful of absences due to vacation and any other misses were on account of doing something related to the church (mission trips, traveling to conferences, etc.). So over